Heavy Civil Terms 101

DominicroundDominic Delfino
Construction Specialist

Construction lingo is as diverse and abundant as the types of trades you’ll encounter on the job. We believe team communication becomes more cohesive when you can understand what your teammates are talking about, which is why we’ve highlighted a number of common words and phrases you’re likely to hear on-site. The latest installment in this series is specific to heavy civil work. Here are 15 heavy civil terms that you should keep in your toolbelt.


  • Abutment: Supporting structure at each end of a single span bridge. Types of abutments vary based on geotechnical, geographic, and constructability factors.

  • Clear and Grub: The process of removing vegetation and material from land in the construction area. This prepares the site for excavation and grading work to take place.

  • Cofferdam: A structural enclosure installed to retain water in damp soil or bodies of water. The cofferdam is installed and water is pumped out of the enclosure to provide a dry and safe work environment.

  • Critical Lift: Per OSHA 1926.751, a lift that (1) exceeds 75% of the rated capacity of the crane or derrick, or (2) requires the use of more than one crane or derrick.

  • Derrick Barge: Also known as a crane barge. These floating cranes lift large loads while on water. These are great for offshore construction use.

  • DLB (Dig, Lay, Burry/Backfill): Term used in underground construction that describes the activity of utility installation. Dig/excavate dirt, lay your utility line, and backfill.

  • Embankment: An elevated landmass made of compacted soil or aggregate. Embankments help create roads and level surfaces for slabs or levees.

  • Falsework: These are the temporary structures that are built to hold and support cast-in-place concrete during pours and while it cures to strength.

  • Grade and Compact: The process of leveling out an area of land and exerting force using heavy equipment to stabilize the soil or aggregate.

  • K-Rail/Jersey Barrier: A precast concrete barrier that comes in 10’ or 20’ lengths. These are used to separate traffic, protect traffic from a leading edge, or designate the construction zone.

  • MSE (Mechanically Stabilized Earth) Wall: A wall system consisting of vertical panels and horizontal straps backfilled with aggregate or soil. MSE walls allow for easier and quicker installation than traditional cast-in-place methods.

  • Pile: Usually, a long structural member driven into the ground to act as support for a foundation or wall. There are many forms of pile that differ by material, shape, and size.

  • Shoring: Temporary structural support for underground excavation to prevent soil movement or collapse. Shoring is used when you can no longer excavate to your maximum allowable slope.

  • Shotcrete: Concrete that is shot onto a reinforced surface, usually wire mesh, by way of air pressure and hose. Shotcrete is a typically installed on soil nail walls.

  • Tremie Concrete: Concrete that is designed to be poured underwater through a gravity feed system. This method is often used to create underwater foundations as well as seal cofferdams and caissons.

These are just 15 of the common terms you will encounter when dealing with heavy civil firms. Understanding each of these terms will hopefully make communicating with your project colleagues much smoother. After all, boosting communication is something Fieldwire is very passionate about!

Fieldwire is free for small teams
Get unlimited sheets on paid plans

Sign up for FREERight action arrow white