- Solutions: Multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services
- Customers: Agriculture, aquatics, commercial/retail, disaster response, federal, financial, healthcare, industrial, oil & gas, power generation/transmission, telecommunications, transportation/infrastructure
- Location: Nationwide with 150+ local offices
- Notable projects: Rapid response services to clients impacted by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
- Notable awards: #22 on ENR’s list of Top 500 Design Firms for 2020
Terracon was using half a dozen tools, including Microsoft Teams, Word, and OneDrive. With information scattered and siloed, Terracon’s 5,000+ employees struggled to collaborate on projects spread across 50 states. As a result, productivity suffered and costly mistakes were made.
In an attempt to improve efficiency and reduce risk, Terracon built its own project management tool. But field adoption was slow and maintenance costs were high.
“[Before Fieldwire], teams would go onsite with a phone and a camera, make notes, then manually compile them. Most used Word, some used Excel spreadsheets, and others used our homegrown tool that we spent hundreds of thousands of dollars building.”
What Terracon needed was an intuitieve, easy-to-use, and low-cost platform built for the field.
Communication, collaboration, and coordination is streamlined. With Fieldwire’s easy-to-use mobile app, Terracon crews know exactly where to go and what to do once they get there.
“Our teams can access project documents on their mobile devices and quickly drill down to find what they’re looking for or update tasks.”
“Anyone from across the company who’s involved on that project can see the task updating in real-time,” said Julie.
In addition to connecting field and office personnel, Fieldwire helps connect project data. Due to Fieldwire’s open API, Terracon is able to unite data from six different tools, allowing them to avoid double data entry and focus on the real work. As a result, the quality of that work is going up.
“Fieldwire provides us with a lot of accuracy. Our data is more organized and the quality of our output is going up.”
And with paper processes a thing of the past, common workflows like peer reviews are far more efficient and accurate.